PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 14th Jul 2022, 00:02
ThisPilotWifeLife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Australopithecus
Yup, its just you. Or maybe not just you. US pilot contracts do not operate the same way as Australian ones do. Nor is the cost of living the same. Its not all roses, but I think that $133/hr ($200 AUD) is an actual living wage. Does Network provide a middle class wage for 2nd year F/Os? For reference, I believe QF mainline F/Os are circa $200/hr 55hr min guarantee. No overtime. 20 years to command.
You're right US contracts don't operate the same way Australian ones do. It's a completely different language. Rostering at Atlas works on seniority and its not a rotating wheel like it is here. I spoke to 4th year FOs who are still not getting anything they bid for. Open time and vx is on a bidding system and is also all based on seniority. I've also spoken with captains who didn't take their command until 6 years after it was offered to them so their seniority was high enough that they didn't have to take a pay cut. They made more as a senior FO with roster seniority than a first year captain.

The shiny brochure they are showing everyone is just complete BS, the only numbers you can believe on that brochure are the lowest ones. A 3-4th year FO on the 747 can expect to make 133K, a first year is looking around 90K to 100K. Not sure if that is enough to move across the world for. I know a 9th year Captain on the 767 who made 225K last financial year and that was a good year for him. The 747 captains are sitting around 250K.

As for article 33 (the 175% of hourly rate - covid gravy train money) it's now only applicable for India, China and one other country (forget which one) and you have to have enough seniority to bid to get those lines. You could always pray for another global pandemic of course.

Granted Alliance has a better EBA than Network, overtime for Alliance kicks in at 55 hours every 28 day roster period and CPI this year is going to be a decent hike for them, plus there's the tax break coming this year, all of a sudden Alliance doesn't sound so bad. Maybe Atlas is a realistic option for a single Network/Bravo FO.

E3 visa's need to be renewed every two years, you can bet Aussies will be the first on the chopping block when the time comes, then you're stuck with the fun of trying to claw your way back in Australia.

Obviously its better than being unemployed but there is a reason this company was in arbitration for 5 years. Their conditions suck. Atlas is basically the Network/Alliance of the US, sometimes its better the devil you know.

But maybe its just me - and the pilots who actually work for Atlas, and their wives, who would really like to know where all the money is that Atlas putting in their shiny recruitment brochure.