PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus Within 6ft of the Ground nearly 1 mile Short of Runway
Old 13th Jul 2022, 09:50
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
Hence my question about how French ATC speak QNH in French. It is many years since I regularly flew in and out of CDG, and even when I did, my brain would not have listened closely to instructions given to others in French, so I don't know if ATC use digit by digit for QNH, or the short cut of 'mille un' etc. Having to say 'unité' instead of 'un' takes longer, at three syllables vs one, so 1011 spoken digit by digit in French would take a long time and at a very busy airfield such as CDG,
French officilal phraseology spells numbers in full . here the QNH would have been mille onze. English phraeology spells all numbers digit per digit , one-zero-one- one, No French controller mixes this up,
For "one" in the French phraeology we use "unite" instead of "un" (1) this is to avoid the mix up with vingt ( 20) sounding the same. One othert hing to remember is that in France , like in many other countries, the French Phraseology is the one to be used, English is secondary and must be used if you do not have a French language endorsement on your licence. In addition most GA airports in France are French language only.

Last edited by ATC Watcher; 13th Jul 2022 at 10:08. Reason: typo