PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the difference between a multi value database and a relational database?
Old 13th Jul 2022, 07:42
netstruggler

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
So, what is the difference between a multi value database (Pick) and a relational database? I think I get it but could somebody explain in words of one syllable, possibly with an example?

We have some legacy multi value databases which look like they will need to be converted to relational databases to fit in with the rest of the organisation and I'd like to get my understanding right in my head.
It's very hard to write about relational databases in words of one syllable.

We use mongodb which 'might' be a multivalue database (see how much I know about it). It's not relational anyway.

One difference is:

If you want a record of all your customer orders, for example, and you need to filter them by customer then, in a relational database you create an order table with a column called "customer" and then you search for all records with customer = xyz.

In a multivalue database you could create a table called Customer_xyz and add all the order records to it. You can also add records of other customer xyz things apart from orders to the same table. It makes it very easy to find out everything you know about that customer. Depending on the type of data you're managing, the code to access it can be very efficient.

HTH