PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REX SAAB Issue?
Thread: REX SAAB Issue?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2022, 23:12
43Inches

Received 419 Likes on 231 Posts
There are electric motors being tested for the Saab but chances are it won't be complete in this decade.
Hybrid electric SAAB is due for first flight in 2025/26. That's the NASA project with Boeing and GE. I think Sweden has a project in the wind, but not sure what airframe they are using, I would be surprised if its not SAAB based.

The NASA project is talking about 30%+ fuel use reduction, rather than pure electric. So the aircraft would still retain it's current range and performance, just cost less in Jet fuel. There are also maintenance savings that are a part of it. Although the gearbox is completely replaced with an electric motor and the CT-7 retained as a generator. It's quite conceivable that it could be made full electric with ease as the jet fuel portion is just an electric power plant, not drive train.

BTW there are DASH-8 hybrids and fuel cell aircraft in development as well, so not just SAAB. I assume ATR is also mulling over what to do in the field, although nothing substantial is in the works yet (they have the Evo in progress, but it's even being called a "mild hybrid" meaning very little change, just larger batteries with some sort of electric booster engine).

Last edited by 43Inches; 10th Jul 2022 at 23:26.