PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Email server
Thread: Email server
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2022, 21:19
netstruggler

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jimjim1
Can you still just hook up a mail server and send away, I doubt anyone will accept your messages? I thought that in the interests of spam reduction people only accept messages from addresses they "know". I guess you will be able to use your ISP's mail relay but I would think they will charge you for the privilege. For home broadband, probably won't do it at all. It's been a while since I was involved in this but I can't see it having got more open over the years.

You could in principle use dynamic dns if you didn't have a stat ip.
I'm running a postix mail server on my home network which connects to my ISP's mail relay. It's purely for the convenience of managing multiple home email accounts and I don't allow connections to it from outside my home network (at least I don't think I do ).

I don't have any problems with my ISP but I have had issues with my emails being flagged as spam, particularly when sending to gmail addresses. These were caused by:
  • Allowing my home users to connect to my home email server without encryption (I fixed that)
  • gmail not liking emails originating from an IP address it didn't recognise. (I had to add some black magic to my dns record)
  • forwarding incoming emails to external addresses. gmail really doesn't like this and I haven't found a reliable way of making it work.
Email providers are working hard to block spam and, if you run your own server you're likely to fall foul of them sometimes. It's not your ISP that blocks it, it's the receiving email provider.

Now that my ISP offers an IMAP email server I don't really need to persevere with this, but I do. I see it as a challenge.

If you say why you want to run a mail server of your own you may get some more focussed advice.

As you've learned it's perfectly possible, though I'd say the first time you do it it's a bit of a challenge.