PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASA wants Class E to 6500 on East Coast
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2022, 04:10
43Inches

Received 433 Likes on 236 Posts
I think there's some big misconception about class E here. It's en-route controlled airspace for IFR aircraft that's it, it's not designed for terminal airspace around an Aerodrome, and therefore is not suitable for this purpose. One of the major reasons it's not suitable for terminal areas is that VFR can operate how the hell they want and the closer you get to an airfield the more erratic and dense traffic gets, which means clearing IFR on strict routes no longer works when they have to constantly change course or altitude profiles to fit in with other traffic. This is also the reason Class E gets dicey at lower altitudes depending on the density of traffic in an area. Imagine setting departure paths for three or four IFR aircraft and then find a tribe of VFR trainers blocking the path, because they departed at the same time or just ahead of the IFRs and are now in the way. The radio traffic and workload is now through the roof. And IFR pickup will not work for RPT above 5700kg, as they are not allowed to operate VFR, so you'd have to write a new rule for them to depart with some sort of schedule.

At present if I arrive at an airport with high VFR in class G I'm passed traffic and manuvre as required to fit in with it, very simple communication over the CTAF, make it class E and I need approval to deviate from cleared routes, doubling the radio traffic and requiring talking on two frequencies and if there's any IFR traffic blocking ATC margins I won't get clearance.

I also agree with the statement above regarding those that want to remain OCTA for direct tracking, less delays or whatever.