PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing could cancel the 737 MAX 10
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2022, 07:01
WideScreen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tdracer
When Boeing did their original EICAS (757/767, certified 1982), they had to get an Alternate Method of Compliance (AMOC) since the regulations at the time didn't allow such a system. That was still true in 1989 when Boeing certified the 747-400 with EICAS. So no first hand knowledge, but I assume Airbus had to also get an AMOC to certify the A320.
If the regulations technically did not allow an EICAS type solution, then the regulators obviously didn't feel there was a big safety advantage to going to the EICAS style glass flight deck. I don't recall when the regulations were changed to allow an EICAS/ECAM type system without an AMOC, but it's not exactly bending over backwards to allow Boeing to certify a new aircraft type that follows the regulations as they are currently written in instead of forcing them to spend big bucks to implement a system that doesn't technically meet the regulations.
I think, the difference is, in 1982/1989, the "new" EICAS was seen as "the future", whereas Boeing now tries to keep a dino on oxygen alive with the attempts to certify the MAX 10 without EICAS. The only ones wanting that, are the stock-holders (Boeing as well as some US airlines).

Actually, I don't think, it's a matter of "certification along the rules as they are currently written", since that is no longer applicable, once it has becomes 2023 and the MAX 10 certification isn't finished. There was a timely announcement of these changes. And Boeing is just late, due to delays, which are 100% on the Boeing plate, having to spend their engineering time on the MAX revive and the ongoing 787 disaster, not to say, the ostrich approach to deny Boeing should be an engineering company, vs. just stocks.

Not to say, there are very legit safety reasons to just drop the currently existing 737 (body), since it does give little break-up protection, on more than a "hard-landing". A B737 Hudson bay landing could have easily ended up as a Transair 810, sinking within minutes, instead of keeping afloat -permanently- like the A320 did, probably costing many lifes. It is even pretty likely, the Turkish at AMS would have happened at all with an A320, not to say, the overhead cockpit goodies landing on the pilots and killing them all, was/is a typical B737 item. Historic certification does have its end, somewhere.