PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help UAL Capt Al Haynes Save his Daughter
Old 3rd Jan 2004, 05:08
Taildragger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bonvol I am with you. I detest moralistic lectures from people who try to browbeat me on the problems of the thrid world, as if I had the power to solve them. I cant, but I do choose, of my own free will and accord, to assist Al Haynes in his fight to save his daughter's life. As far as I am concerned, it is a cause well worth supporting, and before I get a load of emotion, again, about the third world, I have lived there, supported individuals there as far as I can, and will continue to do so. There is a Jewish saying which goes something like
"The person who saves a single life, saves the world entire" That will do me, and I will let Winstun, Ozgrade, Spodman and the others to argue their version of the moral ethics involved.
The way I read their posts is that nobody should contribute......
well, they are entitled to their opinion, but I just cannot beleive the way in which it has been put here. The Health system of the USA, UK and Australia for that matter is superb if you get involved in an accident, or have a heart problem, but when we start talking about sickle cell treatment, and transplants of this nature, the sheer costs involved, place a Triage burden on the Ethical boards involved. Health Insurance companies would rarely cover such enormously expensive treatment. It is not as clear cut as others would have you beleive. No...the cost of a few bottles of wine vs Al Haynes daughter leaves me with a clear cut decision. It is my money and is entirely up to me as to how I spend it.
A Happy New Year to all you guys who contributed and to those who didn't also. I just hope you NEVER have to go through what Al Haynes must be going through now.