PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan To Fly Again
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2004, 04:52
JDK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm.

While pilots are quite important in aviation, it's always a long queue to take the seat - finding one does not normally seem to be a problem. While I take the point that qualified / qualifiable pilots might be a problem, I can't think of an aircraft that has been grounded or unable to return to flight for the lack of qualified drivers.

The Vulcan, and almost all other restorations, face a long list of challenges (and I hope they suceed, but it's going to be a trick) least of which is 'what colour scheme' and 'who's at the pole' - the two questions which seem to bother us all. How to fuel, maintain, engineer, turn round, base, recharge, hangar etc etc etc is rather more important, and rarely discussed!

So - given the qualified and knowledgeable people here - which a/c are grounded ONLY because of lack of qualified pilots?

I think of exceptions like the Granger Archaeopterix and Pou de Ciel at Old Warden (type certification issues) and Bucc and Lightning (flying in SA due to UK CAA restrictions - but the CAA might be persuaded - we don't know as a working op with these types was never really together in the UK) On the other hand, the Short Sunderland was flown in the UK despite a lack of a long queue of wetplane drivers...

Thoughts?

Cheers
James
(The ferociously unqualified!)