PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Watch
Thread: Pilot Watch
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2022, 10:48
runway16

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
Watches

I use a Seiko with a bezel. A great watch. It does not tell me the next time zone but my Ozrunways iPad does that for me. My Seiko has an automatic wind mechanism. Shake it and it winds up. No batteries that fail when needed. It has a 41 mm case diameter. I would like that at 42 or 43 mm. As my eyes get older I like all printed matter and watch faces to be bigger, makes for easier reading at a glance. When I first got the watch at cost of about $600 it was missing times. My favourite watch repairer, Albert, took it, gave it a lube and said that at the factory someone forget to grease & lube the cogs. He fixed it and it has never lost a minute since. May Albert live a few years longer as I have work for him with other watches like my older Casio with a bezel.
It is often said that you can pick a pilot in a crowd. He will have the biggest watch and will wear Ray Ban sunnies.
I agree with both.
The watch for an easy to read face at a glance and the Ray Bans because they have slim side bars that when under a headset keep the noise out unlike a pair of James Bond sunnies that leave a gap around the side bars.
The other way to tell a pilot is is if he or she are wearing a pair of elastic sided boots. R.M.Williams are the favourite when the wearer can afford them.
Pilots. Watches. Sunnies, Boots.