PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UH1-B Fatal West Virginia 6/22
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2022, 19:21
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
So....I am supposed to believe the FAA FSDO in Charleston WV.....about 60 miles from Logan WV where this helicopter was based...had no idea that Helicopter Operation existed, that the FAA did not know they were giving rides, and that the operation did not have ANY authorization to conduct the operations it was doing.....did I get that right?

Information guides for Logan Airport show it is owned and operated by the County Government and has six airplanes and two helicopters based there.

Somehow I have my doubts as to the comments being offered by the Feds as to their complete lack of knowledge of that operation.....but I suppose throwing out an excuse of we are understaffed is something bureaucrats would offer as an excuse for gross negligence and dereliction of duty.

MarPat was not carrying out its operation in secret or behind closed doors....and had been in operation for up to Seven Years and had for sure conducted the same kind of "Veterans Reunion" on four previous years with reports of that on local news and in local newspapers.

Yet....the FAA never heard of them.....really?

Did the County's Airport Manager have no clue they were in violation of FAA Regulations?

I have little trust in government as it is....but sometimes you really must take a step back and ask yourself just how incompetent can government be?

Does the FSDO get aircraft registration data from FAA HQ for their area of responsibility?

Does the Airworthiness Inspector for the FSDO get a list of Air Worthiness Certificates?

Do the FAA Airport Certification Inspectors document what aircraft are based at the airports they inspect...what operations are present?

Who tracks Airport Operational Data...flights to and from the Airport?

Did the County Airport Authority require Insurance Information for the MarPat Operation?

There is far more to this story than what is in that video and news reports so far.

As to the comment about "closing them all down" that is not a very wise suggestion as most are well run, have excellent maintenance, are use only highly qualified pilots and mechanics (engineers for you who use that term for knuckle skinners).

What is being reported is very troubling for sure....and does not appear to be the kind of warbird operation we wish to see operating.

But....let's focus upon this one and not paint everyone else with the same brush.