PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2022, 10:53
henra

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by sheikhthecamel
Regardless of the outcomes of the war (FWIW I agree with him, but for different reasons) his statement that Europe is the biggest loser is undisputable:
On a purely practical level, the economic cost is ruinous: increased energy costs, cost of accelerated pivot to alternative energy, opportunity cost of the pivot (eg - automotive industry), increase of defense expenditure, cost burden of refugees, integration of Ukraine in EU and funding its re-building, etc...
Well in one way you are right. On the other hand all these measures would have been inevitable anyway and will now just have to be accelerated. Besides my deep sympathy for the Ukrainian people this acceleration is not necessarily a bad thing knowing that democracies tend to be slow when it comes to change. And being slow when change is necessary is usually not the smartest thing. The earlier we move to regenrative energy sources the earlier we stop cash drain to foreign Countries thereby improving trade balance. The earlier we fully go to Cars with alternative drive the more tech advantage we have in this future technology. Yes, it will hurt short term but I do also see long term benefits. Remains increase in defence spending. Well yes but that is simply inevitable now that reality has caught up with us.