PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fate of the AN-124 stranded at YYZ
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2022, 16:24
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
Yes I have been on Russian cargo planes, yes I know what they were and are, Indeed I suggested when it was impounded it should be handed over to Antonov in reparations to the one they have which was severely damaged by Russia.
The fact is they could have simply refused to let it enter Canadian airspace, by allowing it they broke their own sanctions simply to get the cargo, as to what they are doing now, well, from what I have read Russia has given them a massive bailout to stop them going bust, they operate a lot of western aircraft too, they will also be having problems with spares for the AN124's as they are built in Ukraine who I somehow think will not be supporting them, and they damaged the factory's etc
The rest of your post, sorry I won't bother with as it is just drivel.

Closing airspace is not like turning off the porch light, there is a lot of process and coordination required. When the aircraft arrived in Toronto there Canadian airspace was open to Russian aircraft. It was when it was almost ready to leave that the airspace closure was made official. With airplanes coming and going it is inevitable some are going to get caught out. IMO there should be no value judgment applied to the seizure of this airplane. It was caught up in a fast moving situation not by design but, by happenstance. However that being said if seizing reduces Putin's capacity to destroy Ukraine even if it is to very small extent, than I am quite happy at the outcome.