PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The F-35 thread, Mk II
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2022, 15:49
SLXOwft

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts
DoD press release appears to say two additional squadrons (increasing 5th gen presence) but it isn't clear as strictly the working up 495th and future 493rd squadrons are/will be forward based; I wonder if it is significant that the newly arrived Liberty Wing commander is a 1* replacing the usual Bird Colonel. Brig Gen Joseph L Campo took over from Col Jason Cameletti on 29 June.

Today, President Biden announced at the NATO Summit in Madrid the following additional long-term commitments to bolster European security:

In the United Kingdom, we are increasing our Fifth Generation Fighter presence and ability to support Allies across Europe by forward-stationing two squadrons of F-35s at RAF Lakenheath.
https://www.defense.gov/News/Release...ons-to-europe/

Maj Gen Derek France (Commander 3rd Air Force) at the hand over ceremony: 'Change is a a fact of life and transitions are hard. I get it's hard to bring on new leadership but our Air Force is better for it. The wing is now commanded by a Brigadier General and in my mind that means that it's indicative of the strategic nature of this Wing, the increased scope of the mission here'

It's years since I was inside the wire (back in 4 x F-111 sqn times) but there were works completed in 2020 to allow the 492nd and 494th to consolidate F-15E operations on one ramp before the F-35s arrived and shelters for 42 F-35s on the other expanded ramp. The 495th is due to have 24 aircraft - go figure.

Last edited by SLXOwft; 1st Jul 2022 at 17:33. Reason: add OC 3rd AF quote etc