PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would YOU do?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2022, 23:53
First_Principal

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
We studied that accident in our DC3 ground course - not to be critical, rather to learn of the pitfalls we might encounter, the options available, and the particular issues of an old airliner at MTOW on a single engine.

I consider myself fortunate not to have had need of that particular section of my education. However I have been subjected to a significant injustice thrust upon me be an 'authority' who, through no demonstration of competence nor independent oversight, have power over me and chose to exercise that power in a completely unreasonable way. Moreover they did so in such complete defiance of their own statements that individuals lied - at very least by omission - in a judicial process. All of this is a matter of record yet the injustice has not been addressed some years later.

That more than rankles today, and I suggest that while some people may be capable of suppressing their feelings should this sort of thing happen to them, it will not be everyone that can do that, and nor should they have to. We are meant to be living in an 'enlightened' society where such issues should not occur and, if they should, we expect justice to prevail with that issue being thoroughly investigated and addressed independently in a way that - even if we don't agree with the outcome - we can see our complaint has been properly considered.

The alternative, after which we might be able to let bygones be bygones, is the way such issues were dealt with in past times, going back to pistols at dawn and the like. Since that is no longer permitted the stand-in must be effective, and if it is not then you will end up with people whose lives could be destroyed by little people with too much power and no check or balance to be seen. Thus for those people, and those who may come after them - it could be you - it is very important that the utmost is done to ensure due and proper independent process where power is exerted by one person or persons in the name of the state over individuals. It is highly desirable this happen while that individual or individuals are alive and can enjoy their remaining time free of stigma, rather than some belated finding long after their demise.

So, dogcharlietree while there is little useful assistance I could give, and we have to acknowledge we only have your view on this, I can say that at least one person here understands your feelings and why they may remain strong even after 26 years. Perhaps the only practical thing one might offer is that I agree with Uplinker about seeking the advice of a barrister who has expertise in this area. And yes, you shouldn't have to pay, but maybe it is the only way forward at this point? One other thing I would say, there is nothing that focuses official's minds as enjoining them to proceedings as private individuals. At the end of the day it is individuals that make decisions, not a state machine, and if those individuals have acted - or not acted - in certain ways they could be held to be personally liable. The bar is probably high, but there are commonwealth cases possibly pertinent to this.

Finally, just to avoid doubt, I don't agree with Uplinker's implication that you should have subjected yourself to counselling simply because some person put it there as a test or a bar to jump over - unless there was some very good reason for it - and nor should it be 'too late' to address such a wrong, if there is a wrong.

FP.