PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK job prospects for cadets
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2022, 17:59
Alex Whittingham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My answer would be an unhelpful - I just don't know. I'm increasingly convinced that there is a building pilot shortage masked by the current problems with ground staff. I can't help wondering where we would be without the current raft of cancellations. I know the flight training industry always trumpets 'the coming pilot shortage' but I wonder if this time its not a cry of 'wolf', it might just be true - it had to happen one day. Look across the pond at the US recruitment problems for a starter. On top of this most of the conversations I have had with my colleagues that run integrated or integrated-type ATOs indicate courses running at 25% to 30% of capacity - there's no-one, or at least not enough, coming through the integrated ststem, although modular still seems strong it is more slow to react to demand issues. It's not impossible that when the mist clears airlines who have not secured a flow of ab-initio pilots will be badly caught out. PS don't believe everything you hear, Wizzair require EASA licences. Jet2 are an example of an airline that does have some foresight, as are Ryanair. CAE have collared the ab-initio feed into Easyjet unless they are unable to provide the quantity and quality that Easy require. Time will tell ....