PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Families on flight decks?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2022, 01:53
25F

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've only got one Junior Jet Club logbook left - I kept forgetting / losing them - and it only has a round trip on VC-10 to Rawalpindi / Islamabad. But the return trip was on G-ASGC, the aircraft at Duxford and the subsonic transatlantic record holder for some time.
Usually I would fly with my next-older brother; we would *always* ask for a visit to the flight deck. A lot of these flights were referred to by CC as "lollipop specials" (I think) as you'd have a *large* number of unaccompanied children going to/from school in the UK. On one occasion though we didn't have the usual numbers, so my brother and I were asked if we'd like to sit in first class? And would we like a bowl of cornflakes with sliced banana? Best airline food *ever*.
Another flight one of our cohort managed to blag CC into giving him a selection of miniatures "to give to his Dad". "Will you?" we asked. "Sure, apart from the Amaretto" he replied. He was, what, fourteen? Quite possibly less.
But finally I did the trip out without pesky older brother and having shown during my cockpit visit that I could sit quietly etc., was invited back for the landing in Rawalpindi. Strapped into the jumpseat with headphones on, the Captain indicated the emergency exit above our heads and said something like "if needed - open that, grab the rope, get out". On approach we had ATC say something that nobody understood. Baffled looks all round. I thought I might be able to interpret, being more used to the local accent, but no, I didn't get it either.

Last edited by 25F; 30th Jun 2022 at 02:15.