PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has called for increased investment in Britain’s forces
Old 29th Jun 2022, 22:20
Flyhighfirst

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
Not trying to steal the thread....but see this as a related issue. being reported on in the USA.

Recruitment this year by the Military is a failure....with varying shortfalls in the various Services.

Does our problems sound similar to those in the UK?

We are two societies that have some commonalities but also have some differences.

One thing we do share is the need to be capable of manning and sustaining a viable and effective military fit to meet our self defense needs at a minimum and to be able to field forces in mutual support when required.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...orm-of-events/
The massive difference there is…. An attacking force needs troops and to be able to recruit more troops quickly. A defending force needs less troops early on and let’s face it will get enormous troop strength quickly.

Russia can’t take Ukraine in a year. Does anyone seriously believe they have any further ambitions!? Their generals would be ****ting themselves with any escalation.

I would say if anything has been shown during this episode is that we overestimated our adversary.

I think we are passed the time when one country can militarily hold other western countries to ransom. I also think any pacts would not work as well. I can’t see any western pact forming for aggression on a superpower. I also can’t see a joint pact between China and Russia. They would rather fight each other than the west.

What the west does to non first world countries is a conversation for another thread.

You do need to balance an effective “defence force” against the economic reality. I think the US has got this wrong over the past couple of decades. They have funded an effective aggressive force and so found the means to validate this.

All those trillions, yes trillions of dollars spent
(2.3 trillion at last count) worldwide on Afghanistan over the past 2 decades would have been better spent on CIA operations to route out terror groups. Those actually responsible and planning rather than just sympathetic.

Last edited by Flyhighfirst; 29th Jun 2022 at 22:31.