PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2022, 17:28
Lonewolf_50

Received 460 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Tartiflette Fan
It's difficult to know who is referring to which donations
I was referring to the HIMARS. Future contributions may also occur, sure.
In other news.
Son of AGS has arrived.
The US Army has blown hot and cold on replacing the Sheridan (light, air droppable) tank for a few decades.
They dropped the 'air droppable' requirement and have finally, after a seven year long process, selected the General Dynamics Lands Systems {name to be selected later} that has a lineage including the Griffin II and ASCOD.
Allegedly, you can pack two of them into a C-17 and take them anywhere a C-17 can land. With the MRAP event in Afghanistan a few years ago, shifting cargo of heavy vehicles, I hope they wring out the handling/cargo securing bits before their first deployment. What interested me (in terms of how it relates to this thread) was how the requirements were informed by certain events ... from the link ...
US Army
The MPF program itself had first emerged as part of a broader shift in focus within the Army, and the U.S. military as a whole, toward being better prepared for more conventional conflicts in light of Russia's seizure of Ukraine's Crimea region in 2014 and its subsequent support for separatists in that country's eastern Donbas region.
The question I have is: how well does this weapons system deal with drones?
Tanks are vulnerable to air launched munitions from the top down.
While this likely won't reach IOC until a few years from now (systems integration being something that has to be done first) it's either a 'more deployable/less heavy tank' (38 tons versus 70 ton Abrams) or it's just another target for pilots and drones.
For a nice picture of the new tank/target, here is a link. (https://www.thedrive.com/uploads/202...=70&width=1920)

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 29th Jun 2022 at 17:51.