PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44- Lycoming Service Bulletin No. 388C
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2022, 15:54
EX-PJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My suggestion~

Have a chat with the technician and get a detailed explanation as to what they will be doing to comply with the SB. My personal experience with the O540 in the R44 is to do the valve guide cleaning EVERY 100 hours. It reduces potential issues that WILL happen.

The problem with the O540, after your normal cool down, as soon as you shut the engine off the core temperature rises above the normal operating temperature of the engine oil. The thin coating of oil between the Valve and Valve Guide bakes in this temperature, causing the valve to stick.

Having maintenance go in and remove the build up of baked oil in the Guide and on the Valve Stem will reduce the chances of a stuck valve during operations.

Experienced Lycoming maintenance providers have come up with creative ways to perform this function without having to remove cylinders.

FYI, in commercial use we were lucky to get 500 hours from a set of factory cylinders. Lycoming knows there is a issue and has done ALL they can to NOT to provide warranty on their products.

Just my 2 cents!