PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bloomberg: Murder-Suicides by Pilots Are Vexing Airlines as Deaths Mount
Old 29th Jun 2022, 12:14
Turbinestarter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suicide- Even the stable can succumb

I recall the Captain of a BA 747 having to receive a last minute BA clearance by radio confirming his validation to land his aircraft on 27R in minimums at LHR. It did not go well and he did a TOGA over the airport hotels setting off several alarms. He was hung out to dry by BA and not supported by BALPA. Such was the publicity that He was prosecuted in the local court for dangerous flying and fired by BA.
This high time long haul captain, once a respected member of his local community and well know in his local pub, was now unemployed, suffered the humiliation of the negative publicity and was basically hung out to dry with apparently very little or no support by the airline and his union. I believe it was 12 months later that this senior former captain,used to calm decision making and for years entrusted with his aircraft and passengers took his own life on his own in Scotland ,miles from where he lived.
That to me shows that even the best and most competent pilot can succumb to such depths of despair that their mind set turns to ending their life.

Airline management need to be aware of the current unique pressures caused by Covid and be on top of it with a programme of support and perhaps a heightened programme of anonymous reporting by colleagues who see --and hear -- indications of extreme stress and pressures by their colleagues.
did a go