PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Strategy 2022
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2022, 20:36
Baldeep Inminj

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I read this and I would despair, but I got over that and left. The RAF is in a death spiral of woke culture, political correctness and abject failure to accept their role is to kill people and destroy things. The RAF of today is more interested in beards, uniform design and not offending people than defending the realm. I remember being in the Falklands in the 90's and our OC Admin (Wg Cdr) was unofficially known as Ms.Doubtfire. I recall vividly that she was extremely unhappy at her deployment to MPA as she stated in the Mess, many times, that she hated aircrew and was extremely proud of the fact she had made it from IOT to to Wg Cdr without ever being posted to a flying station. Seriously. It is people like her that have destroyed the true ethos of the RAF.

I believe the RAF should be a fighting force with delivery of lethal force as it's raison d'etre...but it is not, although it most definitely used to be. It is now a snowflake driven, diverse, inclusive and weak organization that is terrified of offending anyone and will run from disagreement or personality conflicts at the first chance. Should an organization be any or all of those things?...Ideally it should be inclusive and diverse, but only to the point that it does not impact combat effectiveness . Can't run 8 miles and be ready to fight at the end of it? Get out. Don't want to carry a gun into combat and kill people? Get out. If you need help to achieve these goals then that help should absolutely be provided, but achieve them you must...or get out. There was a pilot on my last Sqn who failed the fitness test for 13 years in a row - he never passed it!!! He was as fat as butter and his hobbies were sweating and fighting for breath, but apparently he showed a 'positive attitude' to fitness as he went for his weekly sessions with the PTI's...but he never tried hard, never stopped hitting the feeder for pie and chips 5 days a week, and never got thrown out despite his obese size and unwillingness to change his habits. He was off 'sick' constantly and hardly ever flew. It made a mockery of the fitness test (If it is a TEST, and you can fail it for 13 years but remain in your job, what is the point of the test?). Our Airmen and NCO's openly laughed at him - he was a complete joke. The RAF fixed it in the end though...they promoted him to Sqn Ldr and gave him a Unit of his own. Great.. That will help his fitness issues...and how the hell does he tell his own people to keep in shape? What if one of his people fails the fitness test...what will he do, call them into his office and say 'welcome to the club' and offer them 3 donuts and a coke'?

I would despair, but the RAF is reaping what it sowed. You wanted snowflake, diverse and sensitive individuals? Well, you got 'em. Best of luck.