PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-10
Thread: Luton-10
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2022, 13:32
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure it was you who posted about the inferior trains a few years ago so should not have been a surprise to you.
You can always play with figures, how much did the Gatwick Shuttle & Birmingham transit systems cost with zero income? What big projects ever run at estamated costs Elizabeth Line, HS2 ?
Of course it will take cars off the road, what a stupid statement. For those who have no hope of connecting to rail network, car parks will be available.

Perhaps you should refund all the Council Tax subsidises you have enjoyed over the last 20 years via the airport.
I certainly enjoyed them and was the envy of friends who lived outside Luton and had to pay much higher rates/community charge/council taxes.
Yes I posted about the new EMR service maybe 2 years ago but due to Covid this was my first tip. The Thameslink service is vastly superior yet that is the commuter service.

Regarding the Dart, was it for the Council to fund a project that most Luton ratepayers will never use?

Will it actually increase the airports capacity? Only if the DCO is approved. If it is approved then the new concessionaire should have funded it and not the Council, as LRT is meant to be the collector of rents and concession fees and not be a transit provider or speculator. What has happened is that LRT has built it, which has nearly bankrupted it, while the airport operator will run it at a cost of £9m and make a profit regardless of the passengers carried, as passenger income goes to LRT while LLAOL charges a fixed fee.

Will the Dart take cars off the road? Only if the airport doesn’t expand. If it does expand car journeys will massively increase despite the Dart.

Have I benefitted from the income the airport has generated over the years? Yes of course.

Will I benefit in the future? If I do it will be years away. Luton Rising with no debts was a cash cow. Now it is a basket case, with the auditors resigning over a dispute over the directors artificial valuation of the airport to boost shareholder value, which reduces the debt ratio.

I certainly enjoyed them and was the envy of friends who lived outside Luton and had to pay much higher rates/community charge/council taxes.
Very well put so what does a resident of Breechwood Green or Stevenage get in the way of a council tax reduction, as compensation for the noise and disturbance?

At the moment there is no council tax reduction for Luton just a savaging of public services.

Last edited by LTNman; 28th Jun 2022 at 16:51.