PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2022, 23:36
NutLoose

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,253 Posts
Emel.OW

I wouldn’t say that the West hated Russia, there was always a bit of underlying distrust, Salisbury in the U.K. and the Nerve Agent poisoning brought that home, the US election meddling possibly another,
Personally from a western perspective the fact is Ukraine is a sovereign country and Russia was wrong to invade it in 2014, and then to invade again and carry out the current war.
I think everyone was stunned how poor the Russian military actually is, but there is a difference between the pretty show vehicles which are probably not combat ready but are wheeled out every May 9th parade and the poor vehicles they actually operate, it shows the corruption and theft of military equipment on a large scale, the tyres were one such item, A set of 50 Michelin XZL tyres retails on Alibaba at approximately $36,000, whereas 50 sets of the Chinese equivalent retails at around $208, hence not expecting a war anytime soon no doubt someone was buying the cheap sets, billing for the expensive and pocketing the cash, unfortunately for them the war showed up their corruption.

I would agree the West needed to arm Ukraine faster and in greater quantities, it might sound a strange reasoning but doing it in small slow pieces it is prolonging the war, if Ukraine had the means to stop it then Putin would have been forced to either retreat or sue for peace, thus preventing the needless deaths on both sides. Personally as I said at the time, when Russia said they were sending “peacekeepers” in, the west should have done the same along the front as it was.

I am afraid although not partisan to the actions of a few, the Russian people on a whole will be tarred with the rape and murder of men, women and children in the likes of Bucha for many many years to come. It is up to the Russian people to change this, the west is powerless to undo decades of an ingrained culture. And as for being humans, a lot of your troops and hierarchy have already lost that description.
But we are slipping into Jetblast territory, so let’s get back to what’s happening militarily.
I would add your English is very good.

Last edited by NutLoose; 28th Jun 2022 at 00:00.