PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting aircraft - what have you seen on your computer today?
Old 26th Jun 2022, 13:32
cliver029

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM
In the still of the night, I was surprised that at about 02.00 this morning the sound of an aircraft passing overhead by London City caused me to get up and check - it was a TUI 737-800, BY759, Antalya to Birmingham, passing over the house at 31,000 ft, starting its descent into Birmingham. Only aircraft around at that time. Now I really wouldn't expect the sound of a modern smaller aircraft at altitude, throttled back for its descent, to be audible from the ground. But it was.

my house a few miles south of Cambridge must be on or near a waypoint. Dependent on wind direction. (NE or SW) we get both Luton and Stansted turning inbound (7 to 9k feet). Then all night freighters from airports in near Europe dropping down into East Midlands tracking right overhead (20 thousand feet) mainly 757 and 747's but also ilyushin twin prop jobs that you can hear coming for a long time before they get here. During the day10:00 to 10:30 the big jets out of CDG to Northern America, 31thousand ++ so as you can see it's a spotters heaven. Oh and then over the weekend the rich boys toys out of Duxford right down at a thousand feet or less, we've stopped looking now unless the engine notes are different like the other day a Lysander(??) maybe heading to Old Warden now that was special