PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Huey creating its own forest LZ in Vietnam. link to story?
Old 26th Jun 2022, 11:58
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Megan,

I rummaged around in the VHPA website....found the information you provided.

When I went to the Class Photos for 20-21 and 70-25....I did not see Collins mentioned in the class photos that are on file.

That does not confirm or deny he was a member of those Classes as there might not be a Photo for his Platoon on file.

I did find his Bio to be very interesting.

I will reach out to a friend who spent his entire civilian career with Air Log and was a very senior Training Captain.....and see if he can help in this.

After I make contact with him I shall post the results of our conversation.

The Obit contents was submitted by someone upon his death.

If he was a long time member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post....my suspicion is if he was not authentic he would have been rumbled by the members of that Post.

In order to be a member of the VFW....one must provide a copy of DOD Form DD-214 which is your Discharge Document that contains entries that depict your service in the Military and that one document alone confirms the details of your service to include Unit Assignment, Duties, Ranks, type of Discharge, dates of service.....and lots more.

His Class numbers are those of Warrant Officer Classes....and in those days you graduated from Flight School as a WO-1 and one year later you moved up a notch to Chief Warrant Officer 2 (CW2).

I could not find a web page for the 135th that has any list of Unit Members.

I did find this while doing a search....and it just confirms the VHPA Died After Tour (DAT) entry as they are identical.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...erbert-collins

Last edited by SASless; 26th Jun 2022 at 12:49.