PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Families on flight decks?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2022, 00:21
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
In 1999 I was working in MUC and regularly popping back. One round trip was STN-MUC-STN with GO. For long reasons, this was a freebie from the CEO of GO! The outbound was fine and straight forward. On the return, I heard a distinctive South African accent on the Captain's welcom PA. I wrote a note (cannot recall what but making ref to my SA heritage) and asked a CC to take it forward.

Once in the cruise, I was invited up. I was put on the jump seat and we chatted for a while - it was a Friday evening, already dark (it was November) and poor weather at destination. Naturally we spoke about South Africa and how it was that I had a freebie, personally from Barbara Cassani. When the CC returned to collect me, it seemed that they had discovered I was not a moron and had been on FDs before, I was given a headset and told to strap in for the approach.

It was a VERY lively approach, much as 25F describes. It was raining and gusting srongly (Terribly sorry but I did not write down the METARs) and it was fascinating to watch the control inputs as we approached STN.

Arriving on stand, after shut down, the two pilots turned back to look at me with a sort of, "Well, what did you think of that?". I was still rather spaced out by this first night time and poor weather FD experience and decided to risk a joke. "Well, guys ... I'm really diassapointed ... I thought you were something special - but you had to turn the windsheild wipers on!" Happily, they saw the intended humour and I thanked them for a memorable trip. I was the last off the aircraft.