PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft in (British) museums
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2004, 17:47
treadigraph
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 300 Likes on 168 Posts
Ah Scion, when I am rich (you can keep the famous bit!)... Always harboured a fancy for buying Wisley Aerodrome and turning it into a vintage aircraft mecca, but I suspect the nearby RHS gardens would protest!

Hairy I think you are quite right - no vintage missiles from this direction and in any case there is ample turkey in the freezer for the next several Christmases... I guess you will always get the odd hotshot who will ultimately bend the aeroplane because that is the way they are, and the thought of possibly killing somebody else or ruining the party for all the other guests does not enter their head. On the other hand I am sure we can all think of cautious, competent pilots who have gone about things the right way; and yet have been caught out by circumstance and have lost their lives where a more experienced pilot perhaps might not...

It's a difficult subject, but I'll aver that legislation would not be an answer. Perhaps an all-encompassing non-profit Historic Aircraft Club - covering Bleriots to Hunters (or even the Vulcan!) which could help with training, seminars, shared experiences (sounds a bit suspect that!), etc, might be the way?