PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IL-76 EFATO enroute Ukraine
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2022, 22:35
mopardave

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Nil_Drift
Despite the regime or national air forces that aircrew fly for, it is always a tragedy when lives of fellow aviators are lost doing what many of us here have done safely for years.

In WWI, enemies would battle in the open skies and many stories are told of jammed guns or exhausted bullet supplies, aircraft tech snags or other issues, and the two aviators recognised that they both belonged to a niche cadre, though on opposite sides, saluted each other and let each one go their separate ways.

I was saddened to read comments of armchair pundits celebrating the loss of the IL-76 and at least 4 crew. The deceased had been trained to fly, would've worked hard to get to their respective professional positions, now their lives have been terminated when the aircraft got the better of them. I think only fellow fliers can understand something of the journey that ended in a Russian field.

Whether flying for a pariah state or friendly forces, we're all aircrew first ...
If it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling mourning the loss of fellow aviators, knock yourself out......but I think you're being naive. They knew what they were signing up for and were doing their bit to further the twisted ambitions of a lunatic. My sympathies lie with the ordinary people of the Ukraine who have had their world torn apart and been brutalised beyond belief. Let's also consider that there is always the possibility that his ambitions may "expand" somewhat. I wonder what you'd think if your "brother" airmen were brought down whilst heading this way? So, I really don't care who they were or what their occupation was.........All's fair in love and war.......and they were engaged in war.........so, it's a solid tough sh#t from me old thing.

Last edited by mopardave; 24th Jun 2022 at 22:51. Reason: addition