PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2022, 15:57
NutLoose

Received 2,939 Likes on 1,252 Posts
http://aero-news.net/images/content/...Foam-0815a.JPG
Originally Posted by Tartiflette Fan
Originally Posted by NutLoose
Mine clearing Ukrainian style
Remarkably little effort to conceal them. I am however a little surprised that the grenade set them off: I thought an anti-tank mine needed many hundred kg on the pressure-plate to detonate them and therefore puzzled that shock-waves would explode them ( but then, I know nothing about explosives, shock-waves etc. )
I suppose that may be the Idea, if you think about it, it makes you have to stop not knowing if there is an ambush set for you, so you will not want to approach anywhere near it for the same reason, nor will you want to go off road as you do not know if others have been buried to the sides of those you can see, thus your advance down that route has been halted until infantry etc can move forward and clear it and they then become the possible target or may find the sides of the road littered with buried anti personnel mines... Thus with a few visible mines they have halted your advance. Though you could use the tanks gun, that too might alert troops in the area to your presence and if the area has been zeroed in, a possible artillery strike?.

I think I read years ago that the military looked at developing a long lasting foam a bit like the stuff you get in a fire suppression system, you would use it in an urban environment and pump it into a street up to second floor level etc, the logic being a tank would not advance through it as they had no idea what was set up behind it waiting for them to emerge through, nor indeed actually it in it, from tank traps to anti tank mines. You wouldn't be able to see through it, your thermals would be ineffective because it would be wet, your tank would be partially though it before your vision is restored. If not can I have a prize for the suggestion?? Pretty please A similar sort of principal to the mines I suppose.

rather like this but deeper

Last edited by NutLoose; 24th Jun 2022 at 16:27.