PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2022, 21:59
sundaun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caribou Crash near Kiunga

It is now over 25 years since but a comprehensive investigation and report was completed and published, somebody more savvy than I may be able to provide a link. Ansett MAL had operated a Caribou inPNG in the 60s, so the precedent had been set. Garamut was a Vanimo based trading company, headed up by Philip ………. which established a food and goods wholesale/retail operation at Tabubil, the site of the Ok Tedi mine township and airfield.
The Caribou was carrying perishables from Port Moresby, and shut down an engine either en route, or on the (weather or asymmetric) diversion to Kiunga on the Fly River. There is an NDB approach at Kiunga, but the Tabubil published approach only places you at the entrance to its valley.
The tragedy was, Ningerum, a large strip on the River could support a Caribou may have been visible prior to the failure of the second engine.
There are contributors on this site who know more than I do, so this may get the discussion started. I worked for Ansett in PNG, and although I did not fly it, I was told non-allowance of reverse thrust on the Caribou (buffer for wet runway) killed the performance calculations.
Garamut went on to buy a Caravan and traded for a few years after the crash.