PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft in (British) museums
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2004, 16:29
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last one flying....

Hi Seacue,

Wow....negative or what?!

If yours was the majority view then the aviaton scene would be a much duller place.

The Shuttleworth Collection comprises many 'last survivors'. The Collections aircraft are carefully and safely displayed by some of the best pilots in the UK.

It is of course possible to cite a number of examples in support of your position in the regular 'fly or not to fly' arguments.

However, it is a question of degree.

As far as I am concerned, I worry about the ressurection of 'complex' types, simply because we as a race and in the face of ever-changing technologies, seem to suffer rapid amnesia when it comes to old flying machinery. We not only need to learn to fix them up, we need to learn to fly them all over again, and with all the inherent risks.

New type/ new engine/ sketchy misleading or downright innaccurate historical data/ etc. etc. - all produce challenges that should only be undertaken by a proper test pilot.

In the case of simple types, this is usually straightforward. In the case of complex types, I take my hat off to those in whose shadow mere mortals like me will only ever walk.

Another concern of mine is that money and not skill can put somebody in the hot seat. An average PPL can bore holes in the sky in a jet or a warbird - no problem. Its when things go wrong that you rely heavily on your training. That training ordinarily involved getting chopped if you weren't good enough.

These days, money can buy the repetitions that may well result in a satisfactory performance on a good day.

Head now well and truly above the parapet - a Turkey sandwich for the first direct hit!

HP