PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar airways (Master thread)-2
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2022, 11:05
JON380

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies for the late reply.
Applied in early April. Got a reply for the online quiz a few days later.
Got a reply for the interview in Doha about 1 month after the online quiz.
Interview scheduled in Doha mid July.
I've decided to stay when I am after speaking to a number of friends, some of whom have been in Qatar for over 10 years.

My reasons are as follows.
1. Net income gain is approximately 15% - 20% (based on 50 hrs - 70 hrs) if I don't factor in the accommodation allowance of QTR15,000. (Base pay is QTR32,550)(per hr QTR138) - (There is going to be a mad rush for pilots before the year is up)
2. I don't benefit from the children's education allowance. (kids all grown up)
3. Where I am currently employed, the flight schedules are so relaxed. International layovers are between 3 - 7 nights with numerous off days in-between. Cabin attendants are great to the pilots.
4. Medicals and checks are just too easy (compared to where I have worked previously, ie China)

After a long deliberation, I figured QR would be suitable for someone who has young kids (schooling) and who's family would be living with them in Doha.
(I was told commuting is not as easy as one would hope for).

BTW the LOL insurance has been removed.
Medical Insurance which was previously underwritten by ALLIANZ is now handled by Al Koot.

After 30 years and 20,000 plus hours on long haul wide body flying, If I eventually make a move to another airline, it has to be for more than just a small monetary gain.
My personal opinion.