PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What did officers eat for lunch?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2022, 22:42
meleagertoo

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts
I sadly remember almost nothing of the food at Topcliffe in '83 except it was chips with everything but it must have been filling and acceptable.
Leeming was another matter. White coated stewards as far as I recall, serve yourself cereals for breakfast unless you ordered a fried one (or unless the previous night's schenanigans hadn't seen them blown across the mess with thunderflashes, aka a 'snowstorm') .
Lunch was served at tables from a menu and as I recall was always busy and very good, super was quite another matter. This was really something quality-wise midweek though choice not quality fell off a liittle at weekends when the crabs deserted the place and few but we fishheads remained. I recall that we ate very well indeed. The RAF were maintaining good standards at that time and we evidenty had a fine catering Officer in charge at that time.
There was something a bit special that my course specially requested and the catering officer included without fuss - wish I could remember what it was. Overall- overall a thorough BZ to the Crab caterers.
Subsequently food at Culdrose was pretty dam ornery.
Plus pusser forbade flying clothing in the mess at lunchtime so you either had a chewy roll in the bar or an impossibly mad rush to change in and out of your flying kit and gobble a lunch in shirt and tie before changing back.
Pusser, eh? Bah!

Last edited by meleagertoo; 22nd Jun 2022 at 22:55.