PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin changing us to an EARLIER flight with only 90 minutes notice
Old 21st Jun 2022, 09:04
slats11

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But I sure as hell wouldn’t go hunting for an equivalent AMA doctors forum (they’re smart enough to not have a “public” one for professional members) and go on and on with my woe is me issues on there.
Perhaps not. But you would have an independent body to complain to (Health Care Complaints Commission in NSW) - most HCCC complaints are about poor communication rather than poor medical treatment per se.

Anyway, the attitude of some here is why I am concerned about Australia long term.

What exactly are we good at?

We have a long deserved reputation for poor and dismissive customer service - under the mistaken guise of egalitarianism. It’s the “take it or leave it” attitude exemplified by some here.
We don’t make things anymore?
We don’t spend enough on R&D to be good at innovation and the export of IP.
We mostly rely on mining and agriculture - this will decline for various reasons in the years ahead. China is close to having enough steel (it’s phenomenal urbanisation is now reaching a plateau). There are powerful geopolitical forces at play, and globalisation is over (for now).
We used to sell poor quality tertiary education to overseas “students” - who are not interested in the education, but are only enrolled for the all important work-rights visa and a stepping stone towards permanent residency- and thence daisy chaining extended family into the country. In the process, we are eroding standards at our universities - now quickly slipping down global rankings. But Covid has closed that industry down.
We do buy and sell over-priced housing to each other - although that also looks troubled.

the world doesn’t owe us a living - a lesson I fear our children will learn in the years ahead.