PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What did officers eat for lunch?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2022, 14:59
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I’ve spent 55 years of regretting what could have been if I hadn’t failed Biggin Hill twice especially what I perceived as posh cuisine on dining in nights as I once ate in the garden of the British Embassy in Tripoli pre Ghadaffi and the massive PX at the USAF base at Wheelas.
My first Athens rhs on the gripper in 1972 included the first class horses douvres and unknown (to me) delicacies of caviar (wiv little pancakes, cold jellied egg and onions to take the fishy taste away)..roll mop? Pickled fish, prawn cocktail and lots of other stuff that I never was able to identify. I skipped the orange duck and had some nice trifle followed by a Vinegar cigar…digestive biscuits with cream cheese with blue bits.
Champagne cocktail on landing followed by a room party in a 5 star hotel suite with the rest of the first class galley. We weren’t cheap neither as someone ordered ice from room service as I discovered that proper people add it to scotch to dull the taste of jock stream water..pete?
I won’t mention the ex ballerina 21 year old nor the mum of a future queen neiver.
If it was an afternoon med then we had to make do with fresh scones, Tiptree strawberry jam in a little pot and Devon clotted cream…
What happened to the stories of scallops, lobsters and smoked salmon being flown around the empire in bomb bays?..the former was part of a visit to the Scottish isles on a viscount jump seat.
So you souls existed on paying through the nose for others Yorkshire farmers nosh or is this thread just a wind up?