PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK job prospects for cadets
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2022, 15:20
byrondaf

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by flying.scotsman1
What are the prospects in the UK at the moment/following year for cadet positions? I have finished my ATPL exams and almost ready to take the plunge and start a CPL/ME-IR course. My reservations being the lack of jobs for frozen UK ATPL holders, with Ryanair hiring only EASA and easyJet hiring straight from CAE. I reckon it will cost me the best part of £30k to finish my training which is a lot of money for me and not a decision I take lightly.

I understand nobody has a crystal ball but any input is greatly appreciated.
If you can keep your current employment and take a career break to finish training and see how the land lies, maybe that gives you something to fall back on and ride out any waves. Airlines, or more specifically LCC's will ALWAYS recruit cadets as they are cheap to employ, something Ryanair, easy, Wizz and Jet2 have done for years. Where they will recruit from? Well you clearly know more than I would be able to tell you. But any decision to embark on training is always a bit of step into the dark. I'm pretty sure nobody starting their training mid 2019 thought they wouldn't get into a jet until 2022. My only real advice is to make sure you can afford whatever decision you take and to have a financial plan for all job situations. Best of luck with everything.