PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lobbing Rockets
Thread: Lobbing Rockets
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2022, 17:18
dead_pan

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
I won't try to read the mind of that pilot, but they may have been on task to provide suppressive fires at grid xyzabc, and thus were letting go with rockets.
There's a thing I've heard various attack pilots refer to as "Self SEAD" (which a certain Apache raid in 2003 ought to have had more of. What would have been used for that (self SEAD) would likely have been unguided 2.75 "rockets and (perhaps) main guns. (SEAD is Suppression of Enemy Air Defense).
Ah yes as recounted in the excellent film 'Apache Warrior'. Notwithstanding the bravery and professionalism of those which participated in the raid, the whole debacle demonstrated to me that hubris and misplaced pride were alive and well in western militaries, a point worth bearing in mind when criticising the likes of Russia for such failings.

I wonder if the term "Self SEAD" is designed to make them feel better about their odds? I can't believe there are many attack helo crews who would honestly rate their chances against modern Triple A or SAM systems using only their unguided weaponry.