PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA A321 takes off after smashing ground sign
Old 18th Jun 2022, 11:01
rnzoli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlightDetent
the crew's handling was as expected
I find the increasing left rudder pedal deflection (and control surface deflection) from 20:40.29 rather unusal, especially with the steady heading and the nose wheel still on the ground. (i.e., good view on the centerline).
I would expect the left rudder deflection for the crosswind from the right to be decreasing, but here it is increasing to its maximum left deflection (almost to the maximum available deflection) just about the nose gear leaving the ground.
I didn't feel the captain had a good recollection on what happened in those moments (aircraft unexpectedly veering left), and the F/O was not looking outside in those seconds.
The initial reflection of the captain was that the rudder pedal somehow "stuck" to the left, meaning that he wasn't aware of pushing it left, so either something or someone may have pushed it to the left, or the captain being under some sort of illusion of the airplane turning right, which he unknowlingly tried to complensate. Is there any centering force for the rudder pedals that may have become asymmetric?