PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 18th Jun 2022, 06:22
Kenny

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DropYourSocks
I'd like to add to "unless you're a complete idiot", with bringing an Oztranaut attitude with you. I know more than a few guys sent home because they couldn't let go of Australian best practices.

To be fair though, most American recruiters don't really understand the heartache that goes into a lot of the nuances of Australian aviation either. The struggles of all 7 atpl subjects, the years of being a bush pilot, the absolute anal-retentive focus on the exact right order of a ctaf radio call, or the 3 shuttle re-entries required to sit right seat in a Saab.

My advice to those who will be coming over; don't hold on so tight, and you will have a good time flying with the Americans. But if you lead with, "I've done X, Y and Z, therefore I..." you're going to have a bad time.

As those above have said, there's a lot of money on the table over here. You might not have a green card right now, but that's not to say you won't in the future.

Good luck y'all.
To add onto what Socks said above. Success as an Australian in the US is really down to two things. They’re not inherently difficult but pretty much essential.

Firstly, while you may have done things differently and in YOUR opinion better than the Yanks whilst in Australia, it’s their train set and you will get a reputation for being a royal pain in the arse, if you keep telling them how much better the Australians are at aviation. I’ve done both FAA and CASA at the airline level and there are good and bad ideas on both sides of the pacific.

Secondly, don’t be the whiney, nasally Australian. It isn’t cute or attractive. It‘s annoying as hell and a complete embarrassment to the rest of us. I’ve been here, on and off for 23 years and apart from the odd comment, I’ve done what I think is pretty good job of flying the flag. They’re a good bunch and you’ll meet some outstanding aviators but there’s always the 1%, no matter where you go.

Australia is a lot of good things but aviation best practice, simply isn’t one of them.

Steps off soapbox.

Last edited by Kenny; 18th Jun 2022 at 06:47.