PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA-Draft Ballina airspace review 16/6/22
Old 18th Jun 2022, 05:21
Geoff Fairless

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
To carry on from the thread I started, "CASA and Government mates, invent a new airspace classification!" This review is a breath of fresh air!

It is recommending what I recommended to CASA about five years ago when they sent me to Ballina to start work on authorising a CA/GRO. A CA/GRO would only add radio congestion to an already busy frequency. This was compounded by the troglodytes running OAR at the time, when they thought that a broadcast area would fix the problem. They then doubled down by making it twice the radius. (Equals four times the area contained within the circle, hence capturing even more traffic chatter) About that time they stopped inviting me to the discussions with Jetstar and others!

I'm not sure whether the trogs have moved on or whether the new CASA boss saw her public service career going down in flames, however here we are, at last!

The document describes Class E airspace above a Class D control zone, but somewhat confuses the possible with what would be nice to have. "The services should be provided during all periods of scheduled Air Transport Operations and include an Approach Control Service to aircraft operating under the Instrument Flight Rules (IFR), separation between IFR aircraft, VFR traffic information to all aircraft, and sequencing of all aircraft to and from the runway." The last few words will not be possible until runway controllers, (That is, a Tower) is in operation. The operating hours of the airspace will also require a revolution - currently Jetstar in particular, seems to prefer operating when already establish Towers are off duty.

I shall be replying to their request for comment and will publish my comments on this thread.