PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Top Gun 2
Thread: Top Gun 2
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2022, 08:40
NineEighteen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by netstruggler
I spotted the showings with captions and managed to avoid them but didn't go for IMAX, and that might have been a mistake. I was underwhelmed by the sound system. I expected to feel the carrier launches but they weren't loud at all. Does IMAX guarantee a more substantial sound system as well as a bigger screen?
In short, no it does not. In fact, having done some research on this, I think the seeing a film with the IMAX branding can be misleading. In terms of sound quality, it's not necessarily better than Dolby, THX etc. Indeed many experts say it's inferior. I think so long as you find a big screen with a decent sound system, you will be satisfied with the Top Gun: Maverick experience.

Picture quality is a whole other thing. IMAX branding is everywhere in cinemas these days but it does not mean that the IMAX film cameras are involved but rather 'IMAX digital'. Also the screen size and dimensions are a factor here. IMAX film is 70 mm and 1.43:1 aspect ratio, so if you watch a film such as No Time To Die, which has certain scenes filmed with an IMAX film camera, a regular cinema screen with truncate those scenes and you will miss out if not watching on an IMAX screen (digital or film).

Anyway, I may have gone too far into this here, because I went down a rabbit hole on this after watching the Bond movie on a few different screen formats and seeing a wild difference in picture and sound quality....but I hope it helps.

I'd find a big screen with a decent sound system and enjoy the film again, rumbles and all.