PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mil Training timelines
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2022, 15:46
Lonewolf_50

Received 424 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by woodja51
To all military pilots - I’m seeking some info on training times for RNzAF / USAF /RAF /RCAF and RSAF. The question is “how long from start of flying training to pilots brevet.” I know the systems are different as some stream etc but keen for any inputs .. trying to compare methods. Not after state secrets , just approx ideas ( I know RAF pilot training is well behind schedule for example ) .. for a research project into pilot training
To give a rough order of magnitude for USN "rough" syllabus length (if you discount accession into the military and OCS requirements just to arrive in flight school, to include USMC's TBS) ~
a rotary wing pilot can be produced in about 8 to 10 months, multi engine in a similar time line, and a jet pilot in about 14-16 months.
That estimate cannot account for a variety of things that will cause stops or gaps in training (carrier availability for the CQ process being one long pole in the tent), fleet groundings (OBOGS mayhem a few years ago), and so on.
Those are Rough Order of Magnitude Numbers based on my previous experience in the pilot training arm of the USN (been well over a decade) and a quick look at recently updated and allegedly official syllabus time lengths.
There's a bit of plus and minus attached to those.
I don't know what you mean by "pilot's brevet" - our term (US Navy and Marine) is "wings/winging/earning one's wings". That's shorthand for official designation as a Naval Aviator.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ator_Badge.jpg

I won't speak to the USAF timelines. I'll let a Powder Blue colleague offer up their best estimate.