PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age Concern: Am I too old?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2004, 03:43
RDRickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Nr Fairy said it well...

My perspective (from the U.S.) is slightly different, but I agree with The Nr Fairy on this... don't quit your day job. Since my background is somewhat similar to his, I'll give you some additional things to consider. After all, you probably have mortgage, family, child education fund, and other responsibilities.

I've been working with information systems, as well. In my opinion, having a realiable job is a little more important when changing careers. (Not to mention another profession to fall back on is nice). Since you already have a work history (I presume) your current income gives you many more options than those who are just starting out with no financial resources, credit, or budget maturity.

I took out a small loan for helicopter training because... well... what could be cooler than becoming a helicopter pilot? I didn't want to be 70 years old rocking on the porch and say, "I always wished I had done that." So, I flew part-time (2-3 times a week) for my Private Pilot's License and then paid my loan off early (in one year).

My advise is to fly 2-3 times a week and knock out your PPL. Then, you can gradually fly to slowly build hours while you retain a job that pays slightly better than entry helicopter pilot positions. Besides, you will need 1500-2000 hours of flight time before you can get a good pilot position that will allow you to learn on advanced aircraft. A small loan ($12K - $14K) for your PPL might be decent, just don't drag it out (pay it off early if you can).

Once you have your PPL, then you can save up some cash and continue training. In all cases, I would keep your day job (until your training is complete). Never let anyone tell you it can't be done... especially if you have a dream. However, this method gives you the best of both worlds because you can fly and still put food on the table. It will take longer, but if you still want to do this after it's over... then you just might be crazy enough to be a professional helicopter pilot.

Me? I waiting for my local school to get their Part 141 approval so I can use my G.I. Bill for CFII training (Veteran's Administration requirement). I'm not about to piss $22,500 of free money down the tube. So, I only fly 1-2 times a month... I continue to learn from others on this forum... and I read a lot about helicopters in the meantime. Still keeping the dream alive at the age of 33!!!