PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2022, 06:12
finestkind

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by woodja51
All, this is a word of advice for those considering pilot training. The failure rates for those without any flying experience at all are anywhere from twice , to four times as high as those candidates with some flying experience. The sweet spot is probably about 25 - 30 hours at RPL level. More than this probably isn’t needed , but zero hour candidates before starting actual flying are highly represented in suspensions. This is not always ability but often the environment that comes as a surprise ( being in a cockpit , g suit and vest , with a helmet / oxy mask and then the information overload plus 3 - D nature of flying. Simply going solo at a flying school can be enough to let you realise what you are in for. This is not something that a game can replicate. Even though testing metrics show you can get on and pass the course, doing is often a better indicator … it also demonstrates motivation if you have done a little flying - and often that alone can get you through the pilots course .. FYI
Very valid points.... for the old and bold system and in essence I agree. Are you quoting the failure rate from the new training system? You indicate that there is a "high" suspension rate before even starting flying. If so than this could well be from RC's sending anyone and everyone for testing, without real aviation motivation (you could be a pilot, wanna give it a go), or yep did very well on MACTS but education is not very good and therefore find it difficult with ground school (and if things are difficult with ground school than that resilience that has been fostered since birth will kick in, won't it?). The new system supposedly alleviates the cockpit shock significantly. Also the selection system is/was MACTS weighted, meaning that if you did very well and I mean very well than either deficiencies could be excused or the RAAF would help correct those deficiencies. In regards to flying time, yes and no. Once this would be a help in a) assessing motivation (keeping in mind location and financial constraints of candidates) and b) having airborne experience to substantiate that flying desire. Have already had this occur with a successful MACTS candidate with no airborne experience undergoing training and stating to his instructor "that if I had known that flying was like this I would not have joined".
As far as assessing the failure rate the RAAF has set itself up very well once again. Introducing a new selection process with a new aircraft and new training syllabi. I mean what could go wrong. Given the current inventory there can be little argument, I would think, that being a systems operator rather than a hands and feet operator is as desired if not more so.