PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Justification?
Thread: Justification?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2004, 03:13
formationfoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
justification

Sadly most of us have to have some form of justification for spending large sums of money it is just that the nature of the justification changes on a case by case basis. In my case I work to earn the money to fly so my justification for spending is that it makes sense of all the hours I spend working my fingers to a stump!.

I know others who justify spending £3m on a brand new turbine fixed wing by letting the business buy it. Another person I know had a £500,000 Jet Ranger and flew for around 5 hours a year (mostly with a more current pilot). He sold the 206 to buy something more expensive.

It does often seem that those who are less deeply committed to aviation are most able to throw money at it. I am sure there is some perverse law at play here.

Personally I wish I had the funds to do all of the things which I have already mentally justified. I need to replace my twin. The Chipmunk share really should be swapped for a Mustang. The Brantly share should be swapped for a Bell 47 and a Gazelle. Somewhere I need to find time to fly the Gnat I haven't yet got.

Did I mention the TBM 700 or the PC12?.

How much further justification would i need if I suddenly found myself with the £5m required to fund the items above?.

If I only flew these for a total of 50 hours a year would I be safe?. I think I would have to justify handing in my notice and flying a little more frequently.