PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aus/NZ Positions
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2022, 01:24
Lookleft

Received 195 Likes on 90 Posts
Cesspool thanks for the summary of what happened at Qantas and as I recall SH got its EBA with the payrise just before Covid standowns so well done to the union representing Qantas pilots. I don't recall any discussion by those being represented by the other pilots union that Qantas SH were benefiting from JQ PIA. All they were talking about was how they were going to stick it up JQ and that management would be so shocked that they would sign a deal that included reserve blocks of standby and a payrise greater than the 3% on offer. My question was rhetorical because I know the answer-nothing happened!

The whole house of cards collapsed because rather than being frightened JQ, raised the stakes and threatened to stand down for 7 days any pilot who didn't sign on for their rostered duty for the weekend that the PIA was supposed to occur. The PIA was for a small group of pilots who were rostered to fly on a weekend in December to not show up for work. Where is the unity in that? The few (understandably) were not going to take the hit for the many. As a strategy it was rubbish. Jetstar pilots were not even given the opportunity to vote on any EBA proposal. The option of voting no should have been the first step. Instead a bunch of industrial cowboys thought that they would ride into town, shoot the bar up and ride out again with everyone left wondering what just happened. Good for the ego but achieved nothing and we are still left without a payrise. To make matters worse the payrise on offer now is 2%. There is a big misunderstanding amongst the pilot hot heads about what is legally achievable under the current industrial system.

This article spells it out quite well as to how and why we are in the position we are in now.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-...oday/101144570