PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2022, 01:20
woodja51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAAF flight training

Originally Posted by SandpitNinja
Another point I'll bring forward that I forgot to put in my last post.

Both candidates who were highly recommended by the MACTS testing had 0, zilch, zip, zero flying experience, so if that's holding you back because you're worried about how you might perform, don't let it.
Personally, I'm an Engineer and a gamer and I think that's what got me through.
All, this is a word of advice for those considering pilot training. The failure rates for those without any flying experience at all are anywhere from twice , to four times as high as those candidates with some flying experience. The sweet spot is probably about 25 - 30 hours at RPL level. More than this probably isn’t needed , but zero hour candidates before starting actual flying are highly represented in suspensions. This is not always ability but often the environment that comes as a surprise ( being in a cockpit , g suit and vest , with a helmet / oxy mask and then the information overload plus 3 - D nature of flying. Simply going solo at a flying school can be enough to let you realise what you are in for. This is not something that a game can replicate. Even though testing metrics show you can get on and pass the course, doing is often a better indicator … it also demonstrates motivation if you have done a little flying - and often that alone can get you through the pilots course .. FYI