PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2022, 16:29
Tartiflette Fan

Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by FlightDetent
I heard about a week ago it's the calibre trap. USSR 152 mm for UKR pistols are no longer in use in CEE even, and the lefomtover stocks were finite. The 'Atlantic west' could easily stone RF with 155 mm, however the defenders don't have the machienery to shoot those. Apart from the gifted sets which are very scarce given the length of the front line. And dispersed adding another logistic night mare.
I was watching a video about the American M777 most modern artillery piece which said that Biden had shipped 108 guns ( of total establishment of 810 ) and 40 000 shells. There are various types of shell -some GPS/satellite-guided - which the commentator reckoned would have the same value as 10 ordinary Russian shells. Range from 25 000m to 40 000m according to shell. The M777 costs $ 4 million/pc and is being supplied on "Lend-Lease " which the commentator described as being "pay us when/if you can ". I don't know how much of that is accurate but did interest me as I have wondered how everything is being accounted for. If anybody has more definite info on that - particularly what happens when Poland (say) gives T 72 to Ukraine and is promised M1 Abrams as a replacement. The Abrams has a headline price of $ 8 million: foc to Poland, cut-price or what ?

Another video also talked about the MLRS and HIMARS multi-rocket systems which have been supplied by USA, UK, maybe NL and Canada which have the range and accuracy for counter-battery fire , as well as targeting Russian ammunition depots close to the front line. The comment here was that the arrival of these systems should require the Russians to move their supply dumps further back and complicate their re-supply efforts somewhat.

EDIT: Just found the M777 video
HIMARS

Last edited by Tartiflette Fan; 14th Jun 2022 at 13:32.