PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wizzair
Thread: Wizzair
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2022, 15:40
olster

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
As is the way of the Internet assumptions are made and taking offence kicks in backed up by our old friends victimhood and grievance. For clarity Mrat I have nothing whatsoever to do with Wizz, not even flown with them as a passenger. I have however worked as a pilot for two well known airlines as a pilot recruiter and one I am still actively involved with. More inaccurate assumptions: I am very empathetic to the mainly young pilots that I interview and certainly want them to succeed. However, a large proportion cannot fly or find it incomprehensible to fathom a simple SID out of a U.K. airport. Regardless of the aeroplane type, an instrument rating is generic and to not understand the basics as an apparently IR qualified pilot in terms of vertical and lateral profile is truly disturbing. Let’s come on to technical questions. “So Bloggs, why do jet aeroplanes have swept wings?” Some of the answers are extraordinary including the world beating, “they are more efficient on the ground”. Other non sequiturs are available revealing almost zero understanding of basic aerodynamics. Go figure.

For the sake of balance and as someone who can barely scrape by on schoolboy French although I can buy beer in many languages I am in complete awe of someone that can do our job in a language other than our own. I am sorry that a poor attempt at wit on a predominantly English speaking forum has fallen flat. A few top tips for the wannabes that read this from someone who actually sits on the other side of the table. Have a good understanding of high altitude aerodynamics, swept wings, Dutch roll. Mach tuck, jet engine theory etc. Nobody is expecting anything other than basic understanding. Also read the charts carefully and interpret SID tracking and altitude requirements.

As regards the outpourings of angst and emotional incontinence that prevails on pprune, I am not interested nor have the time for it. Also remember when you go to an airline pilot interview you need to impress at the HR interview as well. No point in being Chuck Yeager in the sim and arrogant and entitled in the interview (common). Otherwise I wish all aspirant pilots good luck but as the Boy Scouts would say, be prepared!

Last edited by olster; 14th Jun 2022 at 17:31.